Vintage Chairs Plan for Oshkosh 2014
This past weekend (April 4 th and 5th) volunteer chairs of the Vintage Flight Line Operations, Safety, and Security teams gathered from around North America to meet in Oshkosh to refine plans for making Vintage Oshkosh 2104 the best one ever.
Participating in this year’s meeting were VAA President Geoff Robison, Flightline Chair Michael Kosta, Grounds and Transportation chair Phil Blake; Flightline Vice-Chair Kathy McGurran, Flightline Co-Chairs Patty Dorlac, Denny Gruizenga, Dennis Lange, Randy Hytry and Dave Thomas, Flightline Thirst chair Pat Blake, Vintage Security chair Tim Fox, Computer Operations chair Earl Nicholas, and VAA Administrator T. S. “Max” Platts.
Sean Elliott, EAA Vice President of Government and Industry Relations, and Rick Larsen, EAA Vice President of Marketing, joined the meeting for over an hour to update the team on changes necessary for the T-Birds airshows and to learn how the Vintage team will be implementing these changes for the weekend.
Here are some facts you might not realize when you fly into Oshkosh and are greeted by those friendly men and women in the orange vests.
- This planning weekend continues an annual tradition begun more than fifteen years ago.
- Most of the chairmen and chairwomen currently on this team were also here when the planning weekend began nearly two decades ago.
- Our chairs hail from six states and one Canadian province.
- Overall this team totals over 200 YEARS of combined volunteer experience directing and parking vintage aircraft.
- Our flightline team leads and supervises nearly 200 flightline trained volunteers each summer.
- Our flightline team is one part of the more than 500 Vintage Volunteers who donate more than 20,000 hours of service each summer.
- Every Vintage Flightline Volunteer receives formal training and a written handbook before being assigned a field job.
- Vintage Volunteers manage over a mile of the airshow flightline each year – from Show Center to the south end of the airport.
In addition to the published NOTAMs, as 2014 camping and parking procedures in the Vintage are are finalized, we will post these on this website.